Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Parents are SO weird...

I can say this now, being a parent, because it is so true. Every day, when I see Camden, I think about what body part of his I can put in my mouth. I look at his little toes and I just want to nibble on them. I see his tiny hands and I just want to kiss all over them. I look at those chubby little cheeks and I just want to pinch them. What is wrong with us?! And I say us because I know I’m not the only one who feels this way…I’ve heard Jeremy say and do the same weird things to our son…and I’ve also seen him lick Camden’s’ head.
Before you have kids and you hold someone else’s child, the second they cry you want to hand them back. The good thing about other people’s children is that you CAN give them back. Thinking about throw up and baby poop is scary. Don’t even ask me to change your child’s diaper. All of that changes when the child is yours. When Camden cries I want to figure out what is wrong, when he poops I want to change him, and when he pees I just hope that he doesn’t “fire hose” me.  I could watch him sleep for hours.
I drive more cautiously. I cringe when I watch the news. I feel selfish when I have to “pump and dump”.  I no longer have the fears and concerns for myself that I used to have before Camden was born. Now my fears and concerns are for him.
When we were younger and our parents said “when you have kids you’ll understand,” we laughed in their faces…little did we know what it was like to have kids. I now know what Barb meant when she made that comment and I’m already saying that to Camden…like he understands.
Parents are so weird…but being a parent is so cool.


3 comments:

  1. Grandparents are weird too. When I am with Camden I can't get enough of his smell or enough snuggles and hugs. I also want to nibble those cute little fingers and toes! The love you have for your children grows even stronger when they have children of their own...you see yourselves in them and the memories begin to flow....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i <3 reading these! so so true! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooove watching you be a real MOM!

    ReplyDelete